Week 6 - Artist - Camille & Sarah Elgart

     Sarah Elgart choreographs dance which is kind of hard to explain. I think she uses ballet/contemporary style dance moves as a way to show imagery, but from a few videos I've seen on Youtube, I'm not quite sure if I understand what she's trying to portray. I watched Alexandre Features "Ghost Story" by Sarah Elgart (link), Grand Performances presents Sarah Elgart (COLA 2021 Feature Presentation) (link), and Sarah Elgart (link). Her choreographies all seem to have similar dance styles, but they don't have an explanation and she never writes one that I have seen either, so I would assume that her dances, much like other art piecies such as paintings, are made so that the meaning is up to the viewer's perception. Besides dance, I see that she also produced a short film, directed some music videos, and writes in a magazine column about dance and film. 

    Camille is a singer and an actress. Her music seems to utilize as little instruments as possible to place an emphasis on her voice and the sounds that her voice can make. In an interview she did about her album, "Music Hole", she talks about how the sounds you hear in that album are mostly made by her voice. She uses her voice to tell a story and with that voice she draws her background by including it in every sound whether its the main vocal, or just a background piece. 

    As artists, when they create their art, they are in the zone. I think flow comes from being in the zone and you can see that when you watch how artists create their work behind the scenes. I think a good example of this would be watching Taylor Swift and her co-writer write "Getaway car". You can see how when they're in the zone all the lyrics just flow out of them as they're bouncing ideas off each other. I remember many people were in awe of her when that scene came out in her documentary. In this instance, I think that Camille and Sarah Elgart do the same thing when they're creating as well. 

    I think what they have that's similar to each other is that they both use their art to tell a story or convey something to the viewer. Sarah's uses her choreography and dancers to portray a story and lead the viewers to her meaning while Camille uses her voice to tell a story. Both of their work aren't loud or in your face about it, but they're both very free flowing like a breeze, so their work makes you think about their meanings. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 - Artist - Spill Sesh & Lovelyti TV

Name your blog post: Week 11 – Artist – Choice